Thursday, September 10, 2026

Dry, Continued Dry with a Chance of Dry

A consortium put together a release of a couple thousand acre-feet of water into the 90+ day dry Rio Grande middle reaches.  The thirsty sands absorbed so much water that it took several days to reach the Central Bridge.  I don't even know if the "flood" made it to the gauging station at Valle de Oro.  

Sept. 3 waiting for water at the Gail Ryba Bridge

Within a few days the river bed was dry again.  On the prowl for lunch I crossed the Rio from the Botanic Garden to the west side and the cottonwoods in the bosque showed serious trouble.  Some had completely brown, dry canopies.  I suspect those trees will not survive.  Just a one shot estimate:  I'd say we could lose 20% of our trees.  

Sept. 7 looking north from Tingley "Beach"

On a brighter side, the water lilies and lotus at the BioPark have been flourishing.  With shorter days, they are flowering less prolifically, but they are still putting out a few spectacular blooms.  








No comments: