Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Tortoises and Climate Change in a Changing World

I've been on the lookout for the turtles.  Sometime between now and the 5th of May they'll awaken from their winter nap.  Then it'll be time for a quick run to Petsmart for mealworms.  Their appetite is always better if I start them off on live food.  

I'll be interested in their weights.  I've been weighing Terrance ever since I got him, good lord, 8 years ago.  Tiberius has been growing by leaps and bounds.  As a youngster, I expect him to plateau near his adult weight fairly soon, maybe this year.  Here's Terrance from several years ago with Schlepp at the old house on Camino Gallo. 

As I reflect on their hibernation periods, I wonder how global warming will effect the boys.  Is a longer active period during the spring-summer-fall a good thing?  How long is a healthy brumation?  Do boxies down south get by with less?  

As CO2 levels go up, things appear to becoming more serious daily.  The four years lost to Trump can only be seen as something good through the lens of motivating us to do more with the time that's left.  One can hope that Biden's push for an large infrastructure bill will include aspects for ameliorating climate change.  



No comments: