Saturday, July 24, 2021

The Rain

True, the weather forecast included a flashflood warning for late in the day.  But the quantity and location was a surprise.  

As I got back from an unsuccessful attempt to jumpstart the Engravostyle computer at the Botanic Garden, I could see a decent-sized thundercloud to the north.  It was getting steadily closer.  I realized that I had forgotten to pick up a couple items at the grocer's.  I didn't even get out of the car, but backed out and drove immediately to John Brook's.  Getting parsley, cinnamon-raison English muffins, and a couple other things only took a few minutes, but I was still too slow... the deluge came.  Along with it, there was a gale of wind.  

While waiting in the foyer of JB's, I checked the weather radar and it only got worse.  I gathered up my cloth bags and scurried to the Prius.  Fortunately, I had parked as close as I did.  Whew!

The drive home was exhilarating,  rolling down a window to enter the gate code got me soaked, and it seemed like the entire storm entered the garage with me.  That north wind really honked!  

Power flickered and the rain continued to pour in great wind-driven sheets.  For a moment, it sounded like the drops might have started to form slushy hailstones.  

Within a half hour, it was over.  The garden plants seemed largely unaffected.  The crepe myrtle had lost a good number of spent blooms as did the Hibiscus.  Later I noticed that the big fennel had lodged.  I propped it up with a handful of bamboo canes.  We'll see how it is doing in the morning.  



No comments: