Sunday, February 25, 2024

Bread Week

Winter into spring seems to be a good time to spend in the kitchen.  Between chilly, cold, snow, windy weather and the ever-increasing pollen count, time spent with my glutinous friends is particularly well rewarded.  



When my tea loaf pan arrived from King Arthur, I put it immediately to work with a classic lemon tea cake. 


Even while I was under the weather, so to speak, I managed to pull together a London Fog Tea Loaf for a social event.  I masked and gloved to prevent transmission and, alas, had to forego the party.  Caro took the cake and I even got to see a couple slices returned for my enjoyment.  

 


Then yesterday I wisely put to use two over-ripe bananas.  Rather than turn them into compost, I turned them into banana bread.  


Today I'm trying my hand at pan cubano, the soft Cuban bread for their classic sandwich.  It's in the oven now as I type this.  


We should know in about 8 minutes how things worked out.  Meanwhile, the pork and ham are thawing.  The ham is honey baked and already thin sliced.  The pork is in the form of thick loin chops, which I'll marinate overnight.  They'll be cooked in the immersion cooker for about 2 hours at a 140° temperature.  

For the moment, the bread seems pretty OK for a first whack.  


No comments: