Wednesday, March 20, 2024

The Acequia Ride

After a busy day in the yard, moving bonsai out from winter quarters, putting away the cold frame/green house, sealing the bamboo fencing, etc., etc., it was warm enough to tempt me to take a bike ride.  It's still a little chilly (long pants, t-shirt) but the sun was pleasant and there was no breeze to speak of.  

I went up the Griegos Lateral to the north behind the high school. Along the way there was Rumex, Arundo, and Sisymbrium leafing out.  The latter was already in bloom with tiny yellow blossoms everywhere.  The ditch was running happily since they started putting water in it about a week ago.   

I took advantage of the water in the acequia to take the new CrowdWater app for a test.  I was surprised how much detail they take in.  One point of ambiguity:  is an acequia a temporary or permanent water feature.  I chose permanent because it runs uninterrupted all through the growing season.  I may go back and change that because it is a seasonal flow, dry in winter.  



No comments: