Saturday, January 2, 2021

Day 289

Two hundred and eighty nine days since Governor Lujan-Grisham issued her lockdown order on March 19, 2020.  Since then the public health orders have tightened and relaxed as the COVID-19 numbers wax and wane.  

I've registered with the State online.  If everything works out as planned, they'll notify me when I'm eligible to schedule my vaccination.  The BioPark has sent out a questionnaire for planning purposes.  Perhaps my position as the BioPark "Plant Label Guy" will move me up in the vaccination waiting list.  

As of New Year's Day, there were 1278 new cases in the state, 25 deaths, and 313 new cases in Bernalillo County.  In my zipcode, there were 13 new cases; maybe we've passed the summit of post-Thanksgiving illness.  Unfortunately, that also means that beginning next week, we'll start to see the uptick from Christmas-Hanukah-Kwanzaa-Festivus.  And about a week after that, the New Year's surge will show up in the numbers.  

For now, I'm avoiding the Botanic Garden on days when they are open to the general public.  I can go in on Mondays or Tuesdays and work on my plant labeling.  Last month I finished tagging and mapping the hybrid tea roses and back beds in the High Desert Rose Garden (HDRG).  Cecilia, the staff gardener there, has been out on maternity leave, but she's back part time now.   

The new metal labels for the hybrid teas should be on order.  When they arrive in late January, I should have some pleasant afternoons placing them.  




No comments: